By Marc Van de Mieroop
* criticises disciplinary methodologies that are usually proficient by way of a wish to write a historical past of events
* scrutinises the highbrow heritage of historic writings
* examines how Mesopotamia's place because the 'other' in Classical and Biblical writings has encouraged scholarship
* illustrates methods with examples taken from everything of Mesopotamian history.
Read Online or Download Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History (Approaching the Ancient World) PDF
Similar historical studies books
This 2007 examine explores how smooth students got here to jot down Greek historical past from a Eurocentric standpoint and demanding situations orthodox readings of Greek background as a part of the background of the West. because the Greeks lacked a countrywide nation or a unified society, economic climate or tradition, the polis has helped to create a homogenising nationwide narrative.
Status on the very origin of monotheism, and so of Western tradition, Moses is a determine now not of background, yet of reminiscence. As such, he's the integral topic for the leading edge historiography Jan Assmann either defines and practices during this paintings, the research of historic memory--a learn, as a result, of the ways that actual and fictional occasions and characters are kept in non secular ideals and remodeled of their philosophical justification, literary reinterpretation, philological restitution (or falsification), and psychoanalytic demystification.
What's highbrow background? those that perform highbrow background have defined themselves as eavesdroppers upon the conversations of the earlier, explorers of alien ideological worlds, and translators among old societies and our personal, whereas their critics have usually derided them as narrow-mindedly learning the guidelines of lifeless white males.
The 3rd publication within the five-volume neighborhood Oral background Toolkit takes the making plans steps defined in quantity 2 and places them into motion. It presents the sensible information for turning your plans into truth and establishes the root for directing your venture throughout the interviews to a profitable end.
- The Japanese and the War: Expectation, Perception, and the Shaping of Memory (Asia Perspectives: History, Society, and Culture)
- Studies in the Nature and Teaching of History: Volume 8 (Routledge Library Editions: Historiography)
- Epistemologies of African Conflicts: Violence, Evolutionism, and the War in Sierra Leone
- Wherever the Firing Line Extends: Ireland and the Western Front
- The New Nationalism and the First World War
- Fascist Interactions: Proposals for a New Approach to Fascism and Its Era, 1919-1945
Extra info for Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History (Approaching the Ancient World)
Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History (Approaching the Ancient World) by Marc Van de Mieroop